Thursday, March 7, 2013

Random Rambling: Pet Peeves and Household Rules

Pet peeves - I have a lot of them. Misspelled words, smacking sounds when people eat, crooked pictures on the wall, the bread on my sandwich not lining up perfectly....and that just barely scratches the surface!

But today I read an article that made me examine my attitude and I realized that I'm simply being selfish when I get irritated by these things. (Ouch!) I get irritated daily by things that other people don't even realize they are doing. How very friendly of me, huh?

Now obviously, not all of my pet peeves have their roots in selfishness. My annoyance with crooked wall pictures, for example, is not a selfish pet peeve. If I see a crooked picture, I straighten it. Problem solved. Harmless, right?

But what about some of the others? I have made rules in my house simply because things annoy me. For example, I cannot stand it when a child lays on the floor to watch TV and puts his/her feet on the bottom of the TV stand. There is no logical reason for this to bother me. It is a wooden stand, so I'm not trying to avoid smudges on glass or anything. And the stand is very sturdy, so I'm not worried about it tipping over. It just bothers me for some unknown reason. So I did what any pet peeve-having daycare owner would do. I made it a rule that feet don't touch the TV stand.

Isn't that ridiculous? Rules are supposed to be for protecting kids, for teaching them, and for developing the good habits they'll need as they grow. You know...brush your teeth, don't touch the light socket, don't drink out of the milk carton....that sort of thing.

But here I am making rules about touching a piece of furniture with your feet. And that kind of makes me a self-centered jerk.

So now that I've recognized this, I'm going to TRY to stop allowing silly pet peeves to control the way I raise my child and run my daycare. I will pay closer attention to my reasons for the rules in my home. And maybe, just maybe, I will stop letting little things irritate me. (Who am I kidding? They'll probably still irritate me. But maybe I'll stop letting that irritation show.)

Please tell me I'm not alone in this. Do you all have silly rules that are in place simply because something gets on your nerves?

1 comment:

  1. Yes! But I didn't realize it till you just said it! My daughter has a pillow pet (stuffed animal, a unicorn named "Corny" to be precise). And I (usually) don't let her sleep on it. I prefer her to sleep on her actual pillow. Which is totally stupid. It's a "pillow" pet for crying out loud. It's stored on her bed. It's machine washable... Makes no sense why she shouldn't be allowed to sleep on it. It just looks uncomfortable to me, all furry and lumpy so I tell her to use her regular pillow. So dumb!

    ReplyDelete